Sunday, November 29, 2009

Things you never knew about me, part 1

Have I ever told anyone how much I absolutely adore the Thesaurus?

Besides copies of the Twilight Saga, (which I will openly admit I collect. I'll embarrass myself with that obsession later) the Thesaurus is the one published book that I have more copies of than most sane people. I have at least 6 printed versions, spanning about 50 years of publications as well as an electronic copy on my iPod Touch. That application alone is the sole reason I didn't trade it to my mother for an 80gb classic (because lord knows my music obsession is second only to my book obsession). I carry a copy with me in my bag and I technically have one in my purse if you count my iPod.

I'm not quite sure where this love/obsession came from. I blame it on the weird occurrence that happened when I went to college of getting stuck on words. Sometimes I lose words in my head. I'll know what it is I want to say, but I just can not think of the word. Hence why the Thesaurus is magical. The right word can make or break language, I think. For example, if I'm really pissed off, and I mean shaking with rage (great word, btw) sometimes the word "angry" just doesn't convey it. So, you pop open the magic book and look up "angry". Like a gift from the Heavens, you're given a plethora of more suitable options. "Convulsed" is a good one, or perhaps "incensed". Some people might not have a CLUE what you you're implying, but you and your best friend Thesaurus will know, and that's all that matters.

I will never turn down a copy of the Thesaurus. Heck, I'm itching to buy the newest copy right now. Pocket sized ones are magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment